Monday, June 20, 2011

Father's day Menu and recipes

As you may have read our fathers day was a great day.  I love cooking and did a lot that day and really it didn't cost much or take much time.  I haven't done the math but I know we had everything for 10 bucks or less.  The key is to have your stables and pantry stocked up like.  I always have eggs, milk, flour, butter and other supplies in the house I count these as my pantry items so they are never in the cost break down as I always buy them and keep them in stock.

MENU

Shepherds pie
Irish soda bread
Brownies with starwberries


Now I don't have a recipe for the shepherds pie as it was a kind of toss together meal.  But I do have recipes for the Irish soda bread.  This is a great bread to make when you don't have yeast or you don't have a ton of time to wait for bread to raise.  It's a good bread for with stews I think it's dense but yummy here is the recipe.




Preheat oven to 450
Makes 1 2 pound round loaf
 
Ingredients
4 cups flour ( I used AP and it was fine)
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tbsp baking soda 
1/2 tbsp baking powder
1 1/2 cups water
2 tsp vinegar (cider or white, I used cider)

Combine dry ingredients and set aside,  mix water and vinegar together.  Add the wet mix to the dry and mix.  Turn out on to floured surface and knead for 2 to 4 minutes don't over do it.  shape into a round loaf and cut an "x" in the top with a sharp knife. Bake for 40 minutes and remove while still hot pour 1 tsp melted butter over the top.  And enjoy.

Now we can move on to brownies.  These were yummy and so easy to put together like supper easy.  As easy as a box and I bet most of you have everything in you kitchen to make them tonight

Oh and they are super moist too
Homemade Brownies

1 cup melted butter
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 Cup flour or add 1/2 cup for cake like brownies
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract

Mix in the order given and bake at 350 for 20 - 30 minutes until tooth pick inserted into middle comes out clean.

You can tons of stuff to these nuts, chocolate chips or caramel (I did this)

These are prefect with berries have a bite of chocolate and then berry it is the best.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

myfreecopyright.com registered & protected