Friday, June 17, 2011

Roasted Pork Terderloin with roasted carrots and homemade perogies all for $3.00 and recipe



Tonight my hubby was off from work and so I had more time in the kitchen so I thought I would make perogies.  It never fails that when I make them that they take all day to do as well.  Thing is I could break them up over a two day period but I never do I don't know why.  Perogies are easy to make they just take time.  You could do like I do and make a huge batch at a time and freeze them for a later time.  I will explain how later.

My recipe makes 3.5 doz perogies.  Here is what you need

6 cups AP flour
2 tsp salt (I used sea salt this is the only salt I use anymore it's about a med gran as well)
5 tble spoons butter
1 1/3 cold water (ice water even) you may need more it depends on how much water your flour soaks up you could use up to 2 cups.

Filling
I cheated with my filling and use instant mash.  You can use left over mash taters from another night or make your own for this if you make your own to make your dough better save some cooking water from the taters.

2 sm pkg instant mash
1 large onion chopped
1 head of garlic roasted
herbs of your choice
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoon butter

Ok depending on what kind of taters you use for your first step might depend on how you start this out.  If not using instant mash.  Start your taters first cook them like normal and save a little bit of the water for your dough.  While taters are cooking roast your garlic in the oven.  With a little evoo and wrapped in foil.  After garlic and taters are done mash them together and let your filling cool.  also place your water in the freezer to get cold.





Once your water is cold mix your flour and salt in a large bowl and cut in your butter.




Once your butter is cut in add your water, now if it's too wet and sticky then just add a little flour to it. Knead the dough for a couple of minutes about 5 min tops.  and then let it rest 10 to 15 minutes.

 Once the dough is rested roll it out to about 1/4 inch think and use a larger drinking glass or biscuit cutter and cut out circles. I would suggest cutting all the circles out at once and cover with plastic wrap to keep moist and not dry out.








Once all the circles are cut out, take one and roll it out to 1/8 inch think and then place about 1 tbls of filling inside it.  Place the filling to one end not in the center.  Then fold the other half over and seal. You can use the tings of a fork to help as well.

Once made you can drop them in boiling water until they float and eat that was or fry in a fry pan with a about 2tsp of evoo to crisp them up.  What you don't use freeze first on a lined cookie sheet once they are froze take them off the cookie sheet and place in a freezer bag.  You cook them the same way as the boxed kind or fresh drop in boiling water till they float.



With this meal we had the roasted tenderloin that I got on sale and with coupon for 1.28 each.  And some roasted carrots.  It was a simple yet great meal.



Cost Break down

1 pork tenderloin....going out of code sale + coupon cost me 1.28
Bag of baby carrots on sale for 1.22
pantry items
and 2 packages of instant mash free with coupon

equal 3.00 out of pocket (oop)

and I have another meals of perogies in the freezer.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing. Pork tenderloin is probably my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the find that I had for this. I hope to only be so lucky again we love it.

    ReplyDelete

myfreecopyright.com registered & protected