Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Book Review: Cut Your Grocery Bill in Half with America's Cheapest Family: Includes So Many Innovative Strategies You Won't Have to Cut Coupons

I just finished reading  Cut Your Grocery Bill in Half with America's Cheapest Family: Includes So Many Innovative Strategies You Won't Have to Cut Coupons bye Steve  Annette Economides (that is really there name.  And they have a website called America's Cheapest Family.  They have been featured on morning news programs, 20/20, and even the Dr. Phil Show.





This book was hard for me to get into, maybe because it talked about planning and lists and menus and all things I hate doing a rebel against.  But I forced myself past it and honestly learned a ton of great facts.  This book starts and ends with ideas on how to not only save money but your time as well.  This family focuses on family as well and this book is much more than just saving money at the store.  While I don't know about shopping only once a month (I shop twice now) they had other great ideas.

This book is a great read even if you already know how to save money at your grocery store or coupon.  Don't let the title fool you they talk about coupons and it turns out the husband worked with companies that made coupons and helped design them.  They also talk about the food traps that stores set up for you with sales that are not really sales.  Now we all probably know one season couponer that can tell you that a sale isn't that great like the 10 for 10 1 qt Gatorade when not on sale I can find them as low as .69 each.  

They talk of figuring out the cost per unit and buying going our of code meat.  Now I admit this is something I am not sure I am willing to do but I just met my local butcher and I love there meat in there freezer packs and it avg 1.85 a pound.  They also talked about how to save money on lunch meat with buying chubs and asking the deli to slice it.  The same with cheese as well.  These are all ideas I didn't think about before and will be trying at my local store.
Really this book has to many items and tips to list there was only one thing that bothered me and it was very little in the start of the book they talk about the great deals they find at a dented can store, and then later in the book talk about avoiding these items at the store for fear there is something wrong with them.  I know it's a little thing but it stuck out to me big time.

One thing that I really loved was all the charts and lists and stuff they shared and the family stories it made it easy to relate to them when you learned about them and there family.  They have a great few on family dinners and sharing stories and everything.   I loved the idea of some of the games that they played as well.

I would say this book is worth a trip to the library of even buying a copy to keep as there is so much in there you really want to start with one step at a time.  Other wise I think it would over whelm you and this is what they suggest as well.  I got my copy from the library but I think I will have to keep my out for a used or really cheap copy of it.  

This book also has lots and lots of links and other books they suggest you read to help you out on your journey to saving money and feeding your family healthy.  That brings me to a great point of the book it's about only buying what you need not what is free or on sale it's about how to get those healthy items cheaply that there are not normally coupons out there for.  I would call it a simple living book.  I would also say this would make a great book for well anyone.  I really suggest this book it might be hard for some to get into especially if you think you know all you need to know but please give it a chance and understand you take the ideas and make them work for you.  You don't have to it the way they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

myfreecopyright.com registered & protected