Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Chicken Pot Biscuit for 4.73 and Recipe

Dinner was a very good and very cheap meal this is part two of our roasted chicken from Sunday.  We used 1/4th the bird so I have more for another meal.  How cool is that one bird and three meals.  Coupons also played a part in tonight's meal.  And left over corn from last night.


I call this chicken pot biscuits because my husband and I couldn't agree on a meal I wanted chicken pot pie and he wanted chicken and dumpling and at first I told him I was cooking so it was going to be what I wanted.  But changed my mind and put biscuits on time instead.  This is a huge hit.


Now I will share my recipe but please remember you can change it to suit your needs and likes.  But before the recipe let me give you the cost break down.

Chicken 2.18 (1/4 of the roasted chicken)
Onions .10 
Celery .10
1/2 Cup frozen green beans about .25
1/2 cup frozen peas about .25
2 medium potatoes .10
Chicken stock (store bought with coupon half box) about 1.00
Butter .75
Kraft cooking cream 10 oz free with coupon

Pantry Items
spices and herbs
salt
baking powder
flour
sugar
milk 
eggs


Recipe for Chicken Pot Biscuit

1/4 Roasted chicken or any left over chicken will do
1/2 med onion or one small onion
one handful of baby carrots (it's what I had on hand use what you have)
3 stalks of celery
2 cloves of garlic
2 medium potatoes
1/2 cup corn (mine was left over)
1/2 cup peas (mine were frozen)
1/2 cup green beans (mine were frozen)
about a cup of stock
one 1o oz tube of kraft cooking cream (mine was the garlic one)
Salt and pepper
about tsp of poultry seasoning
and thyme
Chop everything up to small bit size pieces, in a large skillet warm up a little butter or oil at med heat to saute the onion, celery, and carrots.



After the onion turn translucent add the garlic stir and add your spices and salt and pepper if you haven't already and now start adding your other veggies and stock you might need a little water if so add it if not skip it.  then add the cooking cream.  stir and turn the heat down real low and let it cook for about an hour or more.  stir every once and awhile.

Just before the cream was added

While the mixture is cooking it's time to make biscuits here is the recipe I use.

1 Stick butter (mine is salted)
2 cups flour (i used 25% whole wheat the rest ap)
5 tsp baking powder
3 tsp sugar 
1 tsp sea salt
1 egg
2/3 cup of milk

mix all the dry ingredients together and then cut in butter until you get coarse crumbs. Then add your milk and egg.  I mix until it looks like this


At this time I wrap the dough in cling wrap and put it in the ice box and let the dough get cold again while the mixture cooks.  

Once your mixture has cooked as long as you like it put it in a baking dish and top with the biscuit dough I just ripped pieces of dough and placed on top like drop biscuits but you could roll them out and cut them I admit I was lazy.
Place in a preheated oven 400 bake until biscuits are done about 20-30 minutes depending on oven.  When done let sit at least 15 minutes to cool


I love meals like this because while I gave you a recipe I think you should use it as a guide and add what you like and take out what you don't like.  The pieces are small so mom can serve and eat with family and should be fine for littles.  You can add flour if your sauce is to thin or water if to thick.  This is a easy meal to use left overs in really anything could be added cooked for as little as 20 minutes and topped with biscuits and if pressed for time the ones from the can will work.  And if you don't have the cooking cream use a little milk and flour to thicken it up.

Have fun and enjoy.  It is an easy meal and makes a lot this fed my family of 5 eaters very well and some had thirds and I still have enough for lunch for one person. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

myfreecopyright.com registered & protected